Powered By Blogger

The fine art of packing to weight limits

I'm going back to Britain tomorrow afternoon and I'm still packing! After an exchange year, a gap year and so far 2 years of studies abroad, one should think that I'm used to the whole thing now. Don't get me wrong, I could still pack my gap year backpack in three minutes flat if I had to... but my clothes, toiletries, shoes etc. were rather limited that time.

See, I'm going back to university for my final year. Trying to avoid looking like a chav, I need to take something for every occasion. There's a wedding I've been invited to, so I need to bring shoes for that. It's Britain I'm going to, so boots and sandals are both options... Heels for work, flat ballarinas and sneakers for leisure. Tshirts, fancy tops, warm jumper. I brought my towels with me when I went home for the summer, because somehow they get softer and just plain nicer when mum washes them, so I can't forget to take them back with me! However, all of this is using up an awful lot of space.

My laptop bag contains my laptop (I know that was a give-away), my portfolio, various electronic bits and bobs like an external harddrive and all my charging cables. Luckily I'm a girl, so I get to take a handbag as well (they don't count as hand luggage, for some reason). my handbag is stuffed with books, my camera and a cardigan that didn't fit in the suitcase anymore.

On my Gap Year, I didn't really care how I looked and what I wore. I had 2 pairs of trousers, a couple of tops, one jumper, socks, underwear, sneakers and sandals plus toiletsries and a towel. that was it. But now, I'm packing for half a year of studies and work. I'm not on the road, where I can exchange worn clothes at the second-hand shop for new ones. My Gap Year was one endless summer but now it'll be winter soon. I'm living in Britain, have done so for 2 years now. But when you go home for the summer and then return, you have to pack all your summer clothes you took with you in the first place, plus all the warmer stuff you sent home in spring because it was taking up space.

I could fit everythink into my large suitcase. My large suitcase, however, won't fit in my boyfriend's Mini. So now I have a trolley sports bag. A big-ish sports bag, but still a bag.

But I think, I manage. It always looks ridiculous, when I come back from my summer at home, because I'm carrying so much stuff. But it's basically my life in a suitcase an handbag. I only take what's absolutely neccesary. Though my parents will have to send some more stuff over once uni has started again. Like some books and DVDs. It's weird having two flats to alternate between. Because if you forget something, you can't just go and grab it, it's in a different country! So I have to think about the films and series I want to watch and the books I might want to read before I leave for half a year and pack, or send a parcel, accordingly. It's not as easy as it sounds....

Anyway, gotta go, that suitcase isn't gonna pack itself.... Unfortunately...
I also still need to do the dishes, dye my hair, tidy the place up and sleep a little before my plane takes off....

0 Kommentare:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com