Powered By Blogger

Front Page!

As you may already know, I'm currently doing work experience at my local newspaper, the Solinger Tageblatt. I've worked there before, know the people and am on their freelancers list.

The funny thing is: At uni I get told that my headline and intro writing really needs improving and my standfirsts are not the best either.


But today I showed them all! My article about mountainbiking made the FRONT PAGE of the local section! Read it here!


The Solinger Tageblatt's proper front page contains national or global news. The first 8 pages are about politics and what's been happening in the world. But we write for the local section, which is produced completely separatly. We were short-staffed, and although I'm trusted with stories of all sorts (and I've only been there since Monday this time 'round) I never got a page lead! I had an anchor piece (the article on the bottom of the page, for all you non-journalists) on the front page before, but I was thrilled when the editor asked me whether I could write the cover story. Since I'm still lacking local contacts, everybody in the newsroom was helpful and provided numbers, proof read for me and check the housestyle.

Over the weekend, there've been two serious mountainbike accidents in Solingen. One of the bikers is in a coma. The article is about whether it's dangerous to ride mountainbikes in Solingen, what equipment you need, where you are allowed to ride and how many accidents there have been and what the causes were.

Although I knew yesterday, when we went to print, that I got the front, it was great opening the paper today. I'm just a bit dissappointed that I didn't get a byline. They only used my name abbreviation "coka". And because I had to reword the accident-reports one of my colleagues wrote to fit them into the story, we're both credited for it. But apparently the editor liked the piece.

And guess what: Most of my headlines, standfirsts and intros are good enough for publication over here! So there :p

0 Kommentare:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com