Powered By Blogger

The question of tolerance

Living in a student house, and sharing said house with four other people who you couldn't pick yourself as housemates can be tricky sometimes. I've been in this situation for 2 1/2 years now and I've had enough.

We live in a terraced house, and my room is the one at the back. This means that the bathroom is right next door, with the pipes running behind my bed. During the day, I don't mind. I can tune out the noises, the click of the light switch, the flushing, the squeaky taps and the banging of the light switch against the tiles if someone's in a hurry.

During the night, that's a different story. I know that when you've gotta go, you've gotta go, but lately someone in the house is quite literally taking the piss. Showers at 2am in the morning during the week. Constant running to the bathroom, banging the light switch, banging the door shut... It's driving me crazy. I hardly sleep as it is, maybe because I stress about university too much at the moment, but this whole bathroom situation has to stop.

There's five of us in this house, 2 journalists and 3 photographers, and the photographers seem to be a clique. Hardly ever do we get the time of day. I was in the kitchen today, walking in on two of them talking. They immediately stopped, and then carried on as if I didn't exist, completely ignoring me. One of them then asked who was leaving the house at 9.30am on Tuesday. "Well, it wasn't you, it wasn't me and it wasn't the other photographer... who else could it have been?" Thanks a bunch.

Sharing a house was meant to be fun... that's what everyone said. And we journalists do have fun toegther, but never in the 2 1/2 years I've lived here did we all host a proper party or go for a night out together. We never watch TV together, we all have our meals separately (there is no dining table, so even if we wanted to we couldn't) and everyone just lives in their room.

I can't wait to move out of this place!! I had my own place before I moved into student accommodation - at least there I knew if I didn't do the dishes, no one did. I didn't have to hide my toilet paper, because it might get knicked if I leave it in the bathroom. If I wasn't in the shower, nobody else was - no queues and nobody waking me up in the middle of the night because they couldn't time their shower so that it wouldn't affect anyone else.

Mind you, once I move out, I will share a house again - but this time with my other half, so I doubt I'll get the silent treatment anymore. We'll talk to each other about what is going on, do the shopping together and actually go out every now and then. It's still a couple of months away, but I can't wait!

Enough is enough... there is just so much anyone can put up with.

0 Kommentare:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com