Powered By Blogger

Website complaint

I was notified about a complaint today, that the Solinger Tageblatt received because of my portfolio website cornelia-kaufmann.jimdo.com.

Mr. G. had been to the Tageblatt office on Friday to complain, and from what I've heard, he was not very well-spoken and not the quietest either. I had written an article for the Tageblatt, which was published on 9th October 2008, in which he and his wife get a mention. After all, it was them who alerted us to the problem and basically commissioned the article.

I had used that article as part of my portfolio website, on which I collected all my articles until early 2009. Their complaint was now, that although you can also find the article on the Solinger Tageblatt Homepage, it shouldn't have been on my site. "It's not right to find my name mentioned on the internet", Mrs. G. told me on the phone. They said they hadn't given permission to me to use it - thing is though, technically, they had. They had given permission to the Tageblatt, which I write for.

However: First of all, I stated on my site, where the article originated, that I had written it and why I used it on my site (as part of my portfolio). Also, my website has a link to the Tageblatt homepage. So it was properly referenced.

But here's the thing: If somebody wants to republish or use a Tageblatt article in any shape or form, not the persons in the article have to give permission - just the author of the article. And in this case, the author is me! So if I decide to publish my article on my website I am in my right to do so!

Besides, you could only find my site if you knew the address, and you could only find that specific article on the site if Mr. G. went on an ego trip and googled himself. Which I assume he did, how else would he have found it?

I reluctantly deleted the article from my website, but I just got word from the Tageblatt's secretary that he was back in the office Tuesday (19th January) to complain some more, even though I had called them and deleted the article.

Welcome to the internet age, is all I can really say to that. Oh yeah, and: "Mr. and Mrs. G., get a life!"

What do you think? Leave a comment on the blog to let me know!

5 Kommentare:

Sarah said...

That's absolutely ridiculous!! You shouldn't have had to delete it, it's your work! Can't you republish it with blanked out names and a foot note explaining why?

Conny Kaufmann said...

It's not so much that they don't want their names mentioned in conjunction with this, it's that they wanted to be asked although it's my work and even if somebody asked the paper to use that article, they'd get my permission, not theirs!

David Simister said...

I'm not sure how the law on that sort of thing operates in Germany but morally speaking they shouldn't have spoken to you in the first place if they were so protective of their identity.

You have every right to use the article in the context you did, particularly as you referenced it back to its original source.

Whether the newspaper, in its efforts of damage limitation, would agree is another matter...

Conny Kaufmann said...

That's the thing though: It's not the paper's property, it's mine! I'm not on a contract, never signed anything.

Lynnear :) said...

I think that is stupid that you wern't allowed to put it on your page.

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com