Powered By Blogger

All drivers are morons!!

That was one of the first things my driving instructor Greg taught me while I made my first attempts of driving cars in New Zealand. "All drivers are morons and should be treated accordingly!" And he is right.

On Saturday, my boyfriend and I were taking his Mini around the Lake District. Trying to find a parking space so we could have breakfast, we were driving around Hawkshead. Stopping at a junction to let traffic through, we didn't really pay much attention to a delivery van parked with it's front to the curb next to our car. Well, we paid attention to him after a little while. Still standing there at the junction and waiting to go, this guy puts his van in reverse and hits our passenger side!! And he didn't stop after the impact, he tried to keep going! All I could see were his rear lights coming towards me and I was scared! Luckily, he didn't go at any great speed, so he only twisted the passenger side mirror and dented the door a little! He only stopped reversing after my boyfriend honked his horn, the guy didn't even notice that we were behind him!! There was nothing we could have done anyway. We couldn't go forward into traffic and couldn't reverse as the van driver would have followed us and reversed into the front of the Mini. Needless to say that my boyfriend told the guy a thing or two about how careless he is and how stupid he is for not checking behind the car before reversing out into a street!!! I couldn't open my door (as the van was still parked up against my window), but the guy didn't even check whether we were alright... I mean, you've just backed into a Mini's passenger side... wouldn't you make sure the passenger was alright? Luckily, all that happened was that I bumped my ellbow against the door handle.

We never actually made it to breakfast, being just a little shaken up with what had just happened. Luckily we weren't injured.

Later that day, on our way back from Cumbria to Merseyside, we were on a dual carriageway somewhere outside barrow. We could see this Ford Mondeo on the on-ramp, not looking, not indicating and definitely not slowing down. So we slowed down and then changed into the outside lane to give the Mondeo driver a bit of space. Keep in mind that this is a 70 mph speed-limit road! What the guy did next was nothing but outrageous! Instead of staying in the left-hand land, he didn't indicate, didn't slow down or speed up, but went right across into our lane right in front of us and kept going at an estimated 25 mph! In the fast lane! All my boyfriend could do was hit the brakes hard and pray that the Mini wouldn't have one of its "Not Today!" moments!! The guy in front of us didn't care and kept his speed and then started indicating right. That idiot doesn't belong on the road!!! He's endangering everyone!


I'm glad we could slow down just in time, but there were only a couple of feet (if that) distance from our bumper to his. The Mini doesn't have headrests, and if we'd actually hit the car, we could have been seriously injured or even killed. Since the dashboard isn't that deep, we both would have ended up crashing our heads into the windscreen. My boyfriend would have slammed into the steering wheel, while I most likely would have broken my knees on the dashboard edge. Whiplash, thanks to low seats and no headrests, could have left us with spinal injuries or worse!!! Oh yeah, and there aren't any airbags either! Fortunately the seatbelts worked!


I can't understand why people have to go and drive so carelessly! As I said, all drivers are morons... but some are just greater morons than others! They should be fined and taken off the road for good! Maybe use idiot drivers instead of dummies in crash tests, so they can see what it's like!

5 Kommentare:

David Simister said...

I'm lucky the Mini's still here, to be honest! x

Anonymous said...

Am i right in thinking these drivers are also men?

Conny Kaufmann said...

Most of them, yes. Those on Saturday definitely were of the male kind... Women can be morons too though!

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of my trip to Duisburg, when 2 Dutch cars were blocking an exit of the Autobahn because they were trying to turn around (!!!) and stood at a 90° angle tothe street. Hadn't I slowed down and driven through the grass I would've crashed right into one of them.

Anonymous said...

Wait until you drive in India no rules everyone cuts everyone off. Trust me its a nightmare. With me in the car they are even more scary as they stare stare and stare.

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com